Hematology is the study of blood, the blood-forming organs, and all kinds of blood diseases. “Hematology” word consists of two words. One is “hemo” which comes from the Greek language for “blood“. Another word is “ology” which means study. Therefore Hematology is the study of the blood.
There are many tests on the hematology test list. Some test is performed on a routine base like Complet Blood Count, Hemoglobin estimation while some test performed on special circumstance bone marrow examination(Leukemia condition).
What is the Hematology most common tests (CBC) list?
Hematology is a broad field of medical science. The hematology test list contains many clinical lab tests. A routine test list is given below.
- Complete Blood Count (CBC)
- Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR)
- Hemoglobin Estimation (Hb test)
- Differential white blood count (DLC)
- Red blood cell count
- Hematocrit red blood cell volume (HCT)
- White Blood cell Count (WBC count)
- Platelets count
- Prothrombin Time (PT)
- Activate Partial Thrombin Time (APTT)
- Bone Marrow study
Routine Hematology tests explanationeading Text Here
Here are the Hematology test list and their explanation.
- Hemoglobin estimation test. This used to check the oxygenation capacity of the body on the base of Hemoglobin (Hb estimation by Sahli’s method).
- Complete Blood Count: This test is used to check the body’s blood-producing ability. It includes MCV, Hematocrit, granulocyte%, Eosinophil, Basophil, MCH, MCHC.
- Prothrombin Test PT: This test used measures how long it takes blood to clot.
- A prothrombin time test (APTT): This test is used to check for bleeding problems.
What is the Normal values of hematology lab test
Hematology lab test consists of CBC, Prothrombin Test, APPT, bone marrow, Hess test, Giemsa stain. Their value varies from gender to gender and in different diseases.
|Hematology lab test||Test Normal value|
|Hemoglobin (HB)||12-17 mg/dl|
|Red Blood Cell (RBC)||4.5-5.5* 1012|
|White Blood Cells (WBC)||4-5 * 109|
|Prothrombin Time (PT)||11-12 second|
|Activated Prothrombin Time (APTT)||30-40 second|
|Platelets Counts||150-400 * 109|
|Bleeding Time (BT)||2-6 mint|
|Clotting Time (CT)||8-15 mint|
|Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR)||0- 20 mm/ Hour|
|Total Leucocyte Count (TLC)||4000-11000 / cubic mm blood|