A platelet count blood test is important for the calculation of platelet in the blood. Like other blood tests Hb, CBC, LFT (liver function test), RFT (Renal function test), platelet can be counted by two methods.
- Manual Method
- Automated method
Note: Both method are used but manual or visual metho is more reliable than electronic particle counter.
Requirements for Platelet count blood test
Following five are the requirements for platelet count blood test.
- Platelet Diluting Fluid: 1% ammonium oxalate is used as diluting fluid. It 1% ammonium, oxalate is prepared by adding 1 gram of ammonium oxalate with 100 ml water.
- Improved Neubauer chamber:
- WBC pipette
- Petri Dish with moist cotton or tissue paper.
Platelet count blood test procedure
- First, prepare the 1:20 of blood with dilution.
- Fix coverslip on improved Neubauer chamber, then charge it.
- Now cover the chamber in a Petri dish (To avoid the drying of the sample) for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, now place the Neubauer chamber on the stage of the microscope and read at objective 40 x.
- Count the small high refractile discs in the central large square area of the Neubauer chamber.
Note: At least 200 platelets should be counted.
Calculation of platelet count blood test
- Central large area: 1 mm2
- The volume of 1 large square area: 0.1 mm
- Dilution : 1 in 20
- Number of platelets: N
Platelet counting Formula: N* 20 * 10 9
Normal range of Platelet in the blood
The platelet normale range for males and females is 150 to 340 * 109 .
What are the causes of increasing Platelet in blood?
A high level of platelet is called thrombocytosis. It occurs in infection, hemolytic anemia, iron deficiency.
What are the causes of decreasing platelet in blood?
Normally platelet is normal in range. The lower level of the platelet is known as thrombocytopenia. but their range decrease in some diseases like Leukemia, Anemia, Bone marrow disease, viral infection like Hepatitis A virus, Hepatitis B virus, Dengue fever.
What is the 3 function of platelet in blood?
Platelets are colorless small fragments of megakaryocytes. Their main function is to stop the bleeding from the body, as they produce clots on the cut site.
How to increase platelet count in dengue?
Thrombocytopenia occurs in dengue fever, therefore increasing the platelet count is on top priority. Here is the list to increase platelet count.
- Avoid alcohol
- Eat meat
- Drink milk
- Eat green leaf food