We have confusion when there is normal a1c but high fasting glucose OR fasting glucose is normal but a1c is high. Here is the answers of all these quizzes.
- Glycosylated Hemoglobin Test is a confirmatory test for the diagnosis of someone, whether he/she is diabetic or not.
- This Glycosylated hemoglobin is linked to glucose. Therefore, it is called glycosylated hemoglobin. Hba1c is formed by the non-enzymatic glycation pathway, by releasing plasma glucose into hemoglobin.
- This test is limited to a three-month average because the lifespan of red blood cells is four months (120 days). However, since all red blood cells do not undergo simultaneous rupture, HbA1C is taken as a specific for three months.
- It actually a measurement of the beta-N-1-deoxy fructose component of hemoglobin. The origin of the nomenclature is derived from hemoglobin type A.
- The first fraction for separation is considered pure hemoglobin A, designated as HbA1C, and the following fractions are named HbA1a, HbA1b, and HbA1c.
As separation techniques have improved, there are many more subunits of Hba1c. Normal levels of glucose produce a normal amount of glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c).
When the average amount of plasma glucose increases, the fraction of glycated hemoglobin increases predictably. It serves as an indicator that blood sugar is raising continuously since three months ago and necessary measures should be taken.
BUT when there is a normal a1c but high fasting glucose, you don’t need to worry. You should check your fasting glucose for 2 to 3 days continuously. If you notice rising fasting glucose then you should consult the doctor.
Normal a1c but high Fasting Glucose
Normal a1c but high fasting glucose is the sign of Diabetes. This is the initial stage of diabetes Miletus because a1c shows the sugar level of previous weeks.
Therefore if you have normal hba1c but raise fasting sugar, you should repeat fasting blood sugar (FBS) on the next day for confirmation. If you same result then you should consult the doctor on an urgent basis.
Normal fasting glucose but high a1c
HbA1C is primarily used to measure three-month average plasma glucose concentration in the blood. Therefore hba1c test is used as a confirmatory test for diabetes mellitus.This a1c test use as a validation test for glycemic control in diabetic patients.
If someone found Fasting sugar between 70-100mg/dl but Hba1c rage more than 5.7%.It is a confirmatory test for diabetes. Such an individual can be diabetic but it can be in the initial stage. He /she should contact his doctor for proper treatments
Fasting glucose high but a1c normal
If somebody has high fasting glucose but Hba1c is below 5.7% or normal. He needs not worry about his/her health.
Fasting glucose can be rise due to some hormonal imbalance a few times. This rise in sugar will decline after a few hours.
For confirmation, you should check your Fasting blood sugar on the next day. If you note high fasting blood glucose but normal a1c on the next day, then you to consult a doctor.