Hemoglobin (Hb) is an important content of our blood. It exists in the red blood cells. There are two hemoglobin measurement methods. Here is Sahli’s method of hb estimation.
Hb test by Sahli method procedure (sahli’s hb method)
Hemoglobin is an oxygen-carrying protein in the blood. It carries oxygen from the lungs and transport to different parts of the body like the heart, brain, kidney, liver, hand, nose, ear, and others. It has iron in the chain. Hemoglobin has two pairs of chains. One pair is called the Alpha chain while the second pair is the Beta chain. Both chains interlink with disulfide bridges.
Sahli’s haemometer procedure
To estimate Hb by Sahli’s method is easy, we convert hemoglobin into Haematin by adding 0.1 N Hydrochloric Acid. The resultant compares with reference colored solution or color strip. Following are the steps.
Note:in sahli’s method, hemoglobimeter should be kept on level surface.
- Fill the tube with HCl up to 2 marks.
- Place the tube in the Hemoglobin meter
- Suck the blood in Sahli’s pipet up to 20 marks, drop this blood into the graduated tube. as explained in the video.
- Mix the solution with the help of a stirrer and wait for 3-5 minutes.
- After this put the drops of saline one by dropper in the graduate tube, while doing this compare the color of the solution with the Hemocytometer reference colored strip.
- NOTE the reading on the graduated tube. This is the Hb amount in the blood.
Sahli’s Hb test requirements
Hemoglobin normal range female
The hemoglobin range for females is 12 to 16. While the hemoglobin range for males is 13 to 17 mg/dl. This difference in hemoglobin is due to hormonal differences or menses cycles in females.
Hemoglobin normal ranges in male, female
Hb normal range for male and female is
- Male 13-17 mg/dl
- Fe-male 12-16 mg/dl